I grew up in Brunswick and was first elected to the City Council in 1987 at the age of 24. I left government service to pursue my education and a career. Brunswick voters elected me to the Council again in 2012, when I was the top vote-getter among four candidates. They re-elected me in 2014.
In my professional career, I am employed as the Operations Manager for Surgical Services at Meritus Medical Center in Hagerstown, where I am responsible for operations and budgeting of over 21 million dollars in salary and capital budgets. This work has given me a solid base of experience in finance, human resources and management. I am confident that I can run our city efficiently and cost effectively.
My recent work on the Brunswick City Council includes:
- Public safety liaison to the fire & rescue services – this has given me an understanding of the critical work of our volunteer and career personnel to protect lives and property. Brunswick Fire Company, Ambulance Company and Police Department will continue to have the resources they need to keep us safe.
- Liaison to the Park Heights Cemetery organization, an amazing group of volunteers.
- Represented the city in negotiating a contract with the Brunswick Potomac Foundation for the purchase of the Museum building. The contract was approved by the Council in May of this year.
- Supported the Brunswick History Commission to achieve legal status within the city.
- Helped the Brunswick Food Bank secure a new location in a city-owned facility.
- Support the Rivers Edge Recreation Park, skateboard park improvements, and other recreation services.
My interest in serving as Mayor stems from my love for my hometown, a desire to keep improving it, and a firm belief that by getting the fundamentals right, we can leave Brunswick a better place for future generations.